Employment at NYSSSA
Thanks for visiting the website of the New York State Summer School of the Arts and for your initial interest in a residential life staff position with NYSSSA. We have currently filled all of our residential life positions for the Summer of 2013.
Before you apply, we urge you to review our Workplace Expectations for Residential Life Staff. Additionally, staff must have a valid driver's license and be 21 years of age at the beginning of the summer session.
Listed below is a brief overview of these positions:
- Assistant Director for Administration (ADA)
- Duties include serving as a liaison to the State Education Department, providing administrative assistance to the Artistic Director/teaching faculty, and communicating with parents of students and host campus administration. Duties include developing daily schedules, scheduling transportation needs, monitoring the school's financial obligations, and direct support and supervision of residential life staff, including Head Counselor. Residential supervisory experience is required, teaching experience desirable.
- Age requirement, usually post undergraduate.
- Head Counselor
- Duties include supervision of residential life staff, developing and coordinating student social activities, attendance recording at all student classes/events, as well as assuming other duties as needed and scheduled by Assistant Director for Administration. Residential supervisory experience and/or counseling experience required.
- Age requirement, usually filled by graduate student.
- Duties include direct supervision of students in dormitories and during scheduled group activities, holding informational meetings with students, as needed, enforcement of rules and regulations as established by State Education Department and Assistant Director for Administration. Residential supervisory experience and/or counseling experience desirable.
- Age requirement, usually college juniors or older.
Salary for these positions ranges from $1,500 for counselors, $1,900 for Head Counselors and $2,400 Assistant Director for Administration, for a four to five week period. Staff are also provided room and board during the period they are with NYSSSA.
If you are interested in any of these positions, submit an application, a letter of intent, your resume and contact information for three references to:
NYS Summer School of the Arts
New York State Education Department Office of Cultural Education
Cultural Education Center, Room 10D79
Albany, New York 12230