1. Why NYSSSA? (why audition, why did you decide to attend?)
Although the audition process is scary, NYSSSA is a great experience, and it does help you become more comfortable with auditioning for different activities. I decided to attend the School of Choral Studies because I absolutely love to sing. I thought that it would be a great way for me to grow musically and meet amazing people.
2. How did you find out about NYSSSA?
My choir teacher told us about this amazing program that he and his sister attended when they were in high school. He told us that NYSSSA was a great place to go and study exclusively music for a month with professors from all around the country.
3. Typical Day/Schedule at NYSSSA?
* We first start out with warm-ups. If there is a family member that has a birthday, we sing to them on the phone- usually in multiple-part harmony.
* After warm-ups we go off to our theory classes- the classes are split up by the amount of theory knowledge you have. It goes from beginner all the way to advanced.
* After theory we have full choir rehearsal (my favorite part of the day!).
* Lunch time!
* After lunch we have Men’s/ Women's full choir (depending on the day).
* We typically then have small ensemble studies or musical theatre/opera scenes.
* Sometimes, we have a seminar on a topic like vocal health, after small ensemble studies. If we don't have a seminar, then we have dinner.
* After dinner there may be an evening activity or a faculty/staff recital!
4. Best Moment at NYSSSA?
There are so many incredible moments that I have had at NYSSSA. It is hard for me to pick which one is the best. One of them was in 2013 when I sang a solo at the Chautauqua Institute. Before I began singing, I remembered taking
a moment to look at the size of the crowd that was standing before the choir and thinking to myself how blessed I was to be able to stand before all of these people and sing for them. It was simply spectacular.
5. Why would you encourage someone to audition for NYSSSA?
I would encourage anyone who loves music and wants to learn more, to inquire about going to NYSSSA. It is the best way to meet people who have the same love that you have and build amazing friendships that will last a lifetime.