School of Dance Application Process
Applications for the 2019 season are now available.
If you are interested in attending the School of Dance, you must audition successfully to become a member or an alternate.
ELIGIBILITY: Students should be New York State residents, currently enrolled in grades 8 through 12. (Students currently in grades 6 and 7 may audition for the School of Ballet only).
AUDITION: Students must participate in the live statewide audition process to be considered.
APPLICATION: Applications should be submitted at least 2 weeks prior to your selected audition date in order to guarantee a spot at auditions.
Please include a snapshot of yourself, no larger than 4" x 6", clear enough for facial identification, with this application.
Please include student's name in body of the E-mail. Submit your photos by E-mail to: NYSSSA@NYSED.GOV
Photos may be mailed to NYSSSA at:
Cultural Education Center,
Albany, NY 12230.
Photos must arrive in Albany one week prior to the Audition Date.
Upon receipt of your form, complete information about the audition locations, schedules, and times will be mailed to you.
About the Audition
Pre-Registration is STRONGLY encouraged to ensure your space at your preferred audition location. It is not guaranteed that audition sites will be able to accept walk-in applicants.
- Classical ballet is not required to be accepted into the dance program.
- During the audition, you will be expected to participation in a class and perform a short prepared solo not to exceed two minutes.
- Applicants are expected to provide music for their solo. Students should be prepared with their music in two formats (ie. iPod and CD). A CD player will be provided. Please note that burned CD’s should be in final format to avoid playback issues, and tested at home in a CD player (not on a computer).
- Ratings by artistic faculty will form the basis for selecting members and alternates to attend the school.
- Audition results will be mailed to all students applying to the program.
- January 13, 9AM
- National Museum of Dance, Saratoga Springs
- January 20, 11:30AM
- SUNY Brockport, Brockport
- January 27, 10AM
- The Ailey Studios, New York City
- February 3, 9AM
- Syracuse Stage, Syracuse
Tuition and Financial Aid
The total cost of tuition, room, and board is $2,250. NYSSSA awards financial assistance based upon individual need.