School of Orchestral Studies Application Process
Applications for the 2019 season are now being accepted. Recorded auditions must be submitted or postmarked by January 31, 2019. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis; however, it is to your advantage to submit your application materials by January 31, 2019.
If you are interested in attending the School of Orchestral Studies, you must audition successfully to become a member or alternate. You may audition for NYSSSA either by attending one of the live auditions held at different locations around the state or by submitting a recorded video audition. No preference is given to live or recorded auditions. Students on percussion, harp, or piano are strongly encouraged to audition via video recording
All auditions, whether live or recorded, must consist of a completed application form, your solo and the required excerpt for your instrument. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
SOLO: You should prepare a piece (or complete movement within a multi-movement piece) for performance to display your technical and musical abilities (NYSSMA Level VI or equivalent recommended). Instrumentalists are expected to perform unaccompanied.
REQUIRED EXCERPT: You must prepare the required excerpt for your instrument.
[Percussionists are strongly encouraged to audition via video recording and to audition in multiple areas. Percussionists need only perform the excerpt in their major area.]
Pre-Registration for Live Auditions
Pre-Registration for live auditions is strongly recommended. It is not guaranteed that audition sites will be able to accept walk-in applicants. It is recommended you submit your application as soon as possible for the live auditions. Once locations reach capacity, students will be placed on a wait list to audition live or will be required to submit a recorded video audition.
Submitting a Recorded Audition
NYSSSA Cultural Education Center Room 10D79 Albany, NY 12230
- By Email: email@example.com
- Via Web: After submitting your online application form, you may upload your audition to a video-sharing website (YouTube, Vimeo, etc.) and email the link to NYSSSA.
- By Mail:
- Please label all audition correspondence with your first and last name, instrument, and the composer and title (with movement title/number if applicable) of your solo selection.
- January 12, 9AM
- Rush-Henrietta High School, Henrietta
- January 25, 4:30PM
- Hofstra University, Hempstead
- January 26, 9AM
- Buffalo Academy of the Visual and Performing Arts, Buffalo
- January 26, 9AM
- Onondaga Community College, Syracuse
- February 9, 9AM
- Schenectady County Community College, Schenectady
- February 10, 10AM
- NYU, New York City
Tuition and Financial Aid
The total cost of tuition, room, and board is $2,250. NYSSSA awards financial assistance based upon individual need.