School of Visual Arts
Applications for the 2020 season will be accepted starting December 6, 2019. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis; however, it is to your advantage to submit your application materials by February 28, 2020.
All applicants to the School of Visual Arts must submit the following:
- Fill out
Online Application for the School of Visual Arts
- Fill out Portfolio Contents Form
- Submit digital or physical portfolio with 8-10 images (see below for portfolio requirements)
- Email a Writing Sample (250 words maximum): Include a statement explaining why you wish to study art this summer and what you expect from the experience.
All student applicants must submit a portfolio of 8-10 images of their most outstanding and recent work, with a minimum of 4 drawings from direct observation. The work should represent your ideas and experiences and demonstrate your artistic skill. A self-portrait from observation (not a photograph) is recommended. You may include your sketchbook to show your process and way of thinking. We strongly discourage works depicting cartoon characters, superheroes, and works that are traced or copied from another picture.
How To Submit Portfolios:
We will be accepting digital ONLY.
For Digital Portfolios:
You may submit a maximum of ten (10) images. The required image file, size, and image script are detailed below:
- Each image file must be titled with your Last Name, underscore, First Name, underscore, image number. (Example: Smith_John_01) Image number should correspond to the Portfolio Contents Form
- File type: .jpg
- Maximum size in any direction: 1000px
- Image Script: Enter image number, title, medium, dimensions, production date for each entry, and up to 60 words of description if applicable
Digital Portfolios should be sent in via web: You may upload your portfolio to Dropbox and E-mail the link to NYSSSA at: email@example.com
If you are unable to send a portfolio digitally, please emaill us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Tuition and Financial Aid
The total cost of tuition, room, and board is $2,250. NYSSSA awards financial assistance based upon individual need.