School of Visual Arts
Applications for the 2019 season are now being accepted. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis; however, it is to your advantage to submit your application materials by February 28, 2019.
All applicants to the School of Visual Arts must submit the following:
- Fill out
Online Application for the School of Visual Arts
- Fill out Portfolio Contents Form
- Submit digital or physical portfolio with 8-10 images (see below for portfolio requirements)
- Email a Writing Sample (250 words maximum): Include a statement explaining why you wish to study art this summer and what you expect from the experience.
All student applicants must submit a portfolio of 8-10 images of their most outstanding and recent work, with a minimum of 4 drawings from direct observation. The work should represent your ideas and experiences and demonstrate your artistic skill. A self-portrait from observation (not a photograph) is recommended. You may include your sketchbook to show your process and way of thinking. We strongly discourage works depicting cartoon characters, superheroes, and works that are traced or copied from another picture.
How To Submit Portfolios:
We will be accepting digital OR physical portfolios.
For Digital Portfolios:
You may submit a maximum of ten (10) images. The required image file, size, and image script are detailed below:
- Each image file must be titled with your Last Name, underscore, First Name, underscore, image number. (Example: Smith_John_01) Image number should correspond to the Portfolio Contents Form
- File type: .jpg
- Maximum size in any direction: 1000px
- Image Script: Enter image number, title, medium, dimensions, production date for each entry, and up to 60 words of description if applicable
Digital Portfolios should be sent in:
Via Web: You may upload your portfolio to Dropbox and E-mail the link to NYSSSA at: firstname.lastname@example.org -OR-
Via Mail: You may mail a flash drive to the NYSSSA Albany Office at the below address: NYSSSA Cultural Education Center Room 10D79 Albany, NY 12230 Please note that flash drives will not be returned. NYSSSA will confirm receipt of your digital portfolio within one week. If you do not receive confirmation after one week, please call the office: (518) 474-8773
We will not accept E-mailed files, CDs, slides, DVDs, or VHS.
For Physical Portfolios:
- A portfolio case 31" x 42" maximum will be accepted. All artwork must fit within the portfolio.
- Each artwork should be clearly numbered and labelled with student name and high school.
- Fill out the Portfolio Contents Form and attach it to the portfolio case.
- Print out (or email) written statement.
- Clearly label portfolio cases with your name and high school.
Physical Portfolio Submissions should be dropped off at a NYSSSA Portfolio Review site.
After submitting your Online Application for the School of Visual Arts, drop off your portfolio to an adjudication site.
Tuition and Financial Aid
The total cost of tuition, room, and board is $2,250. NYSSSA awards financial assistance based upon individual need.